Water yam contains nutrients which have benefits to the body. It contains a lot of minerals like calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus and copper. It contains vitamins C and E which have antioxidant properties, vitamin A and some B vitamins.
Water yams contain carbohydrates and fiber. Dietary fiber is important in the diet for the healing and health-promoting properties it provides.
Water yams are good plant sources of the female hormone, progesterone.
Some of the benefits of consuming water yams are;
- Blood sugar regulation which implies they are of benefit to those dealing with diabetes.
- Lowering effect on blood cholesterol levels.
- Decrease in blood pressure levels.
- Help to balance female hormones and are good for hormonal imbalance disorders and regulation of menses.
- They improve digestive health and help with constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
- The antioxidants in water yams help to reduce damage by free radicals in the body and slow down the effects of aging. They also have anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases.